The Nova Colonia do Santíssimo Sacramento was founded in 1680 by Don Manuel Lobo, Governor of Rio de Janeiro, which had been appointed by the Prince Pedro II of Portugal, to create a defense outpost on the nothern coast of the Río de la Plata.

It belonged to the Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian Empire. It was part of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata. It was occupied by some British and French legions, and also Italy’s under the leadership of Giuseppe Garibaldi. Their costs keep some of the most famous shipwrecks in history.

These circumstances made Colonia a bastion of architectural styles, the Portuguese colonial style buildings (stone houses with gabled or hipped roofs), coexisting with brick houses and flat roofs, typical of Spanish architecture.